Andros Dipotamata

Andros Dipotamata

Dipotamata in Andros island, is a river-basin of extreme natural beauty, with a length of about 7 kilometers, in the south-east side of the island, between Syneti, Paleokastro and Kochylou. Water these days is less, but even in drought times it doesn’t stop. The natural environment is unspoiled, since the traffic has stopped since the last 35 years. As a consequence the vegetation is very thick (oleanders, mulberry-trees, fig-trees, oak-trees, bushes, reeds, rushes, blackberries, mint, osiers, ivies). The whole area is a shelter for a variety of animals, such as weasels, badgers, hares, snakes and birds (partridges mainly).

The gorge is crossed by a wide slated cobbled road (the only road connecting Korthi with Chora till 1950). In the intersecting point with the river, there is an arch-shaped bridge and occasionally small fountains. There are also other narrow step-like paths connecting the other villages of the area with the fields and the water mills. In good condition there are also (apart from the paths, the stone-walls, the water-mills and their auxiliary constructions) sheep-cotes, stables, lodgings, barns, threshing floors and country churches. But the most important structures of the area are the water-mills.

The reason that in Dipotamata was built a large number of water-mills, was the particularly favourable conditions for establishing and operating them: plenty of running water, good access through the paths, protected environment, small distance from villages, etc. Today can be seen (in good condition, in ruins or in traces) 22 water-mills in all the gorge. Most of them are in very good shape. In a few of them there are neighbouring or adjacent auxiliary buildings, such as a room for the miller to spend the night, sheep-cote, stable or store room. Hydraulic works of big importance and extent for the time and its technological level were supplying and often netting the water-mills. In narrow places of the gorge there were dams, which were forming lakes, to collect water for watering purposes and the functioning of the water-mills. From there, canals were guiding the water in the millpond and eventually into the hole of the machinery of the mill. The remaining water and water coming out of the mill (having rotated its wheel) was guided to the canal of the next water-mill.

Faneromenis Castle in Andros

Andros : The Castle of Faneromenis in Andros was build from the Venetians, north from Korthi, in altitude around 600 m. It could protect one thousand people and it was considered impenetrable because of the high rocks that surround it. According to the legend, the Turks, that could not occupy it, sent in the castle a old woman with her pregnant girl to ask for help, however the evening the old woman opened the gate of the castle, and entered the Turks that slaughtered all the people. After that the old woman, regretted for her action, went up in a tall rock and jump in the sea. Today if you reach the castle from a path from Kochilou, you will see that exist ruins from homes and churches, and the church of Faneromenis. The most important thing to see is the fantastic view in light blue Aegean.

Panachrantos Monastery Andros, Greece

The Holy Skull and Icon of St. Panteleimon the Greatmartyr and Unmercenary, Panachrantou Monastery, Andros, Greece

The dome of the Katholikon of Panachrantou Monastery, Andros, Greece

The Panachrantos Monastery of Andros (also Monastery of St. Panteleimon) is located on the Greek island of Andros in the Aegean Sea, an island of the Cyclades. “Panachrantos” refers to the monastery’s dedication to the “Immaculate” Theotokos. The monastery celebrates July 27 and August 15.

The establishment of the monastery is attributed to Stragegos (General) Nicephorus II Phocas in the tenth century, who subsequently became emperor of the Eastern Roman empire (ruled 963 to 969). By legend, two monks, promising to pray for his victory, asked Nikephoros for financial aid when he stopped on the island on his way to battle in Crete. He agreed and promised aid for them to build a monastery provided he was victorious. With his victory, he fulfilled his promise.

The monastery is located in the Geronakas mountainous area high on the side of Mount Katafigio at an elevation of about 2,500 feet (750 meters). Surrounded by a strong wall, the monastery appears like a “Byzantine” fortress. The site provides an exceptional view of Chora and the surrounding area.

According to tradition, the monastery was built in a place shown by the icon of the Holy Mother (Panachrantos). The icon is attributed to St. Luke. The icon is still kept at the monastery on a stand next to the southern door to the altar of the main church of the monastery. This monastery also possesses the relic skull of St. Panteleimon.[1][2] The relic and an icon of Panteleimon stand next the Panachrantos and are the pride of the monastery as well as the island of Andros.

Hiking and Trekking in Andros

Andros hiking , Andros Trekking

At this blog Yannis and Caroline will try to show you how beautiful is hiking in Andros .Soon you will have more post with many information about hiking in Andros island!Andros hiking, trekking or walking is the best way to explore the island. Every day you can put a different destination. The walks are so many that you will visit Andros more than one time,if you want to make all the paths ! Andros island has a lot of green and waters , from any other Island in Cyclades !

Fabrika in Stenies-Andros

Fabrika was the bigger factory of production of pastas in the Balkans. In daily base it could process 36 tons wheat and produce the corresponding quantity of pastas. The factory from 1864 until 1923 functioned exclusively with the force of water, thanks to the bigger vertical watermill of Balkans. In 1923 and after a big period of drought, was particularly added also locomotive that functioned in step with the watermill. The factory closed in 1936 and in 1943 was destroyed by fire!

Pithara watersfalls in Andros

Hiking or trekking in Andros Pithara : The waterfall Pithara is found in distance of ten-minute walk from Apoikia .The path that leads to this, is smooth and drowned in the ivy and predisposes for that it follows! Her abundant waters run impetuously in to green all around landscape shaping waterfalls and lakes where the aquatic life abounds. Infrequent species of plants  sprout in all the  length of glen. From 1863 up to 1936 moves, little below in Stenies  village, the bigger watermill of Balkans, Fabrika!

Agia Marina Andros

The Monastery  of Agia Marina is located opposite Apoikia of Andros ,where comes the famous water Sariza , dates from a.d. 1325. Agia Marina shows herself to a Monk and indicates him to find her icon in a slot of a rock! During the 16th century, the monastery burns three times from the pirates, losing the old glamour, and at 1743 counts only 5 monks .Then Agia Marina make another miracles, and brings in the Monastery the monk Sofronio. He sells his property in Peloponnese and fully refurbishes the monastery and converts it to a female Monastery in 1746 a.d .

Agia Marina Monastery has been closed at 1833 a.d. The holy icon of Agia Marina , stay in the Holy Temple of Andros,  Panagia, where  remains for 146 years!!! The monastery has been fully destroyed at this period.

One and a half century after, the call of Agia Marina! Suddenly one day in 1975, the Metropolitan of Syros, Tinos, Andros Dorotheos, passing from the ruins of the monastery asks with pain from the monk Kypriano to rebuild the Monastery! In the begging he denies having other plans, but receives the visit of Agia Marina, which appears at the same night in his dreams and says: ‘ I am Marina, me and my two sisters’ lives above the monastery. You will see me every day. Together we will rebuild the monastery…’

So Monk Kiprianos, works hard for five years and rebuild the Monastery! Since then the monastery became famous, and Agia Marina protect all the children.